Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Joe Davison: Woofy Independent Filmmaker

Ever since I saw the low-budget film, 100 Tears, on DVD, not only did I become an instant fan of this ultra-gory slashfest, I also instantly fell in love with its writer/star, Joe Davison.  Unlike modern slasher films, this movie does not shy away from the actual “kill moment” nor does it switch to computer trickery either.  You see the incoming kill, you see what actually happens, and you then see its cringe-worthy results.

I really want to see what Joe can do with an actual Hollywood budget and I can only salivate on the what-ifs scenarios.  I then continued to follow his progress in the difficult world of independent filmmaking and I am excited to learn that his new film, Experiment 7, will be released soon (unfortunately, just for the lucky guys and ghouls who can attend the Freak Show Film Fest in Orlando, Florida).

Being a horror fan who’s slowly losing his interest in the genre, it is passionate artists like Joe Davison who keep hooking me back in.  100 Tears was low-budget and it showed.  However, it made up for down-to-earth acting and realistic gruesome special effects that never once used any digital manipulation.  When I then saw him in Fearmakers, I was a bit disappointed with the film and its special effects as it actually relied on computer special effects which ended up looking really, well, “cheesy.”  Still, it was worth the price of admission for seeing Joe Davison again in his leading-man role.

Being an unabashed Bruce Campbell fanboy, Joe Campbell is definitely up there in regards to horror genre heroes.  As Bruce relies on slapstick humor, thanks to Sam Raimi’s patented campy Looney Tunes-like horror, Joe relies on the subdued type of humor.  When I read on Mr. Davison’s biography, I found out that he used to be a comedian and his skills on that craft really show up in his films.  In 100 Tears, there was a natural flow to the dialogue that I found completely endearing.

Anyway, there are three main reasons why I’m excited to see Experiment 7.  One, is a given, but I’ll say it anyway: Joe Davison is flat-out amazingly handsome (this is also his directorial debut).  Second, he’s playing a snappy-talking, gun-toting badass in an apocalyptic landscape (if I have any favorite type of literary thematic fetishes, that would be it).  Check out the trailer below:



As part of my related ramblings, my Fallout 3 character was named JoeD in honor of Joe Davison.  That then concludes my final reasoning as to why I’m excited to see this flick.

Here are three hilarious instructional videos from Mr. Davison channeling William Shatner on how to kill these “supernaturalalitism” (lol) creatures…



How To Kill A Werewolf



How To Kill A Vampire



How To Kill A Zombie

Finally, here are some photos of Joe Davison with his killer right dimple…

Okay, well, apparently, there are more.  Here are some shirtless photos of the ever-woofy Joe Davison…

This was a WTF moment in the film "Fearmakers." It's a photo that shows up on his buddy's laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment