Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Trivia Post or Video Didn't Quite Kill The Photographer In Me

I guess I’m sort of a child of the video generation. In 1981 when MTV first came out I was 17 years old. I actually saw the very first video, The Buggles – Video Killed the Radio Star. The first trivia question of this post is one I posed the other day to Stacy, Greg, Dave, and Kevin but had to actually look up to find the answer… What was the 2nd video played!!

In August of 1981 not only was I starting to watch videos but I was also big time into photography so I sort of learned to love both. In fact “Bill Trivia” now asks you, “What MTV Video did Bill actually work on?” Yes I did actually participate in a video that actually aired on MTV!!

The sad thing is MTV and VH1 don’t really know the meaning of the word music video anymore so I occasionally get my fix by looking on YouTube where I find videos that combine both my love of videos… and photography.

In this installment is a British Band called Alphabeat who sort of has an 80’s sound to them. I’m not sure if they would be insulted by this but that’s what I hear when I listened to them. The music video for their song “Boyfriend” however uses a cool photography technique involving perspective which I think is kind of cool.

And now the answers to my two trivia questions…

1) The 2nd video on MTV was Pat Benatar’s “You Better Run” which I might add that Pat was kind of hot in.

2) I helped with the video “True Blue” by Madonna. Before you say, “Bill!!! You Met Madonna!!!” Know that in the fall of 1986 MTV had a contest where you could enter a video you made for the song. At the time my ISU TV-10 (actually Student Television Workshop) friends decided to enter the contest and I helped. It was fun and did air a time or two when MTV played all the contest entries but sadly we did not win…

[Via http://mortonphotog.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment