Saturday, January 16, 2010

tah..boo!

Yesterday I went to my cousin’s house for dinner. After which I hijacked the television to watch animal planet/discovery channel/national geographic/history channel. Yes Hi I’m a Geek.

Love these channels. I would just get cable tv for these few channels luh. hahaha. Anyway. Watched a few pretty interesting things. There was this programme about baby animals which was like. Mainly for the cute factor more than for the info. There was this prog about the big bang which made me feel extremely stupid. Seriously. I wish I were more intelligent. ): When my dad tries to explain to me how the stocks and currencies and stuff work I feel stupid enough. And then there’s all this physics stuff that I will never in my life understand. But ANYWAY. As usual, taboo wins with the most O.O prog of the night.

They showed this place in India where Shia Muslims had this ritual whereby they cut themselves with razor blades as they thump their chests and like.. chant? So they get all bloody and have these horrible slashes on their chests. They’re like not allowed to tend to the wounds with antiseptic and stuff and they believe they won’t get infected because they’re doing it for faith or whatever. Apparently this man whom they’re honoring was some religious leader guy who got tortured before his death while serving his followers or smth? Okay, sorry, not exactly giving you the proper reasons.

Okay, now if it were just a small bunch of crazy grown man doing it, I’d just be like, okay, freaks, whatever. BUT!!! The thing that got me all !!!! Was that KIDS as in CHILDREN as in BELOW THE AGE OF 12! LIKE! 9!! AND YOUNGER!! participate too. That’s not the worst part. They interviewed the parents. The mother says she’s not worried that they’re harming themselves, she’s only worried if there’s a stampede (because of the overwhelming number of participants and spectators) . AND! A man said that if his children were to die during this ritual, he would not feel sad because they have given up their lives for whoever it is they’re honoring!

*dies.

And they have these metal whips with blades attached at the other end and they use it to cut their backs too.

*dies again.

It’s really quite horrific, seeing men and boys cut themselves till blood is running down their chests and onto the floor where there are practically POOLS of blood.

And I don’t know what’s my view on whether action should be taken against this practice. I mean, for one, surely there are many casualties every year because of this right? Be it from wounds that are too deep, or infections from dirty blades… But on the other hand, I mean, if they feel they’re doing it for whoever and stuff, it’s their choice right? BUT THEN, I mean, we don’t allow people to just like. Commit suicide even if they want to…? Anyway, even if that dude was so noble to feel your pain for you and stuff and suffer for you, it’s because he didn’t want his followers to suffer right? But here you are inflicting this pain on yourself! It baffles my simple mind.

Masochists! (okay just kidding.)

link!

[Via http://tangledballofyarn.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment