Thursday, January 7, 2010

I Believe In Delta

It’s funny how good singers can appear out of nowhere, and sometimes from distant countries around the world. The next girl is no exception.

Delta Goodrem is the Australian pop princess of the moment, and there’s no doubt about it. She has released three studi albums, all of them succesful, and surely she has one hell of a story to talk about, because she had to fight no only for her music, but also for her life. Let’s get to know this girl, shall we?

Delta’s debut album, Innocent Eyes came out in Australia during 2003, when she was 18 years old. The album was an amazing success, and gave Goodrem five consecutive number-ones singles: Born To Try, Lost Without You, Innocent Eyes, Predictable and Not Me, Not I. Delta’s debut was the most successful album in Australia in 17 years. It was the highest selling album in Australia of the decade and was the sixth highest selling album in Australian history. She co-wrote most of the tracks of the album. This album is full of pop songs and piano ballads (the instrument she plays) and reflects a young woman’s musical dreams.

Then, tragedy came. On 8 July 2003, at the age of 18, Goodrem was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a form of cancer that attacks the body’s immune system. She was forced to put all her working commitments on hold while undertaking treatment for the disease. Part of her treatment included  chemotherapy, which resulted in the loss of her hair, and radiation therapy. The news of her diagnosis were newspaper and television headlines, and fans showed her great support during this period. Fortunately, she won her battle against cancer, and by 2004 she was prepared with a new album.

Mistaken Identity, is inspired by her battle. During her darkest moments, Delta wrote and co-wrote songs, with harmonies, melodies, instrumentes and lyrics, but this time, they were deeper and darker than her previous material. Goodrem stated it was a more mature album, because her life had changed, and her music had to reflect that. Songs on this album have quite personal messages and strange sounds. The albums features her first duet, Almost Here which she sings along Brian McFadden and it is the second single from the album. The other singles include: Out Of The Blue, A Little Too Late, Mistaken Identity and Be Strong. Nevertheless, some other songs from the album became also quite important, gaining more attention than the singles, like Extraordinary Day which talks about the day she was diagnosed with cancer; Last Night On Earth deals with life and death issues, while Electric Storm mentions emotional suicide. The album was not as succesful as her previous effort, but managed to become her secon number-one album.

Delta returned in 2007 with a new album, and a new concept. She called the album simply Delta and has a more up-beat pop sound than her last album. She co-wrote almost every track with her now boyfriend Brian McFadden and tried to create a new mood for her music. The album has a variety of subjects and includes her typical piano ballads, which keep getting better. This album’s singles include In This Life, Believe Again, You Will Only Break My Heart and I Can’t Break It To My Heart. Some songs have personal references, and there’s even a cover. Delta wanted the album to sound happier than the last one, and she did it. There’s also a US release, which includes Born To Try, the first single from her debut album.

Why should we listen to Delta Goodrem? Becasue she offers what a lot of artists today don’t: quality and modesty. Her music comes from her soul and she writes for her people. She manages to transmit her emotions through her music, and you as a listener can relate to most of her compositions. There’s another plus in the fact that she plays the piano, and I mean, it’s THE PIANO. Great instrument for a fantastic artist. I discovered her music one year ago, and she has become one of my dearest musicians.

Delta is currently working on her fourth studio album, and in the meantime, she has just released (on September 2009) her Believe Again: Australian Tour 2009 which is a CD/DVD release of her last two shows in Sydney. It includes her greatest hits plus a backstage video and some other stuff. I leave you here one of her singles and the lyrics. Enjoy!

LOST WITHOUT YOU

I know I can be a little stubborn sometimes, and I say, a little righteous and too proud. I just wanna’ find a way to compromise, ’cause I believe that we can work things out. I thought I had all the answers, never giving in, but baby since you’ve gone, I admit that I was wrong. All I know is I’m lost without you, I’m not gonna’ lie. How am I gonna’ be strong without you? I need you by my side. If we ever say we’ll never be together and we ended with “Goodbye”, don’t know what I’d do… I’m lost without you, I keep trying to find my way, but all I know is… I’m lost without you. I keep trying to face the day, I’m lost without you. How am I ever gonna’ get rid off this blues? Baby I’m so lonely all the time. Everywhere I go I get so confused, you’re the only thing that’s on my mind. Oh, my bed’s so cold at night, and I miss you everyday, only you can make it right, no, I’m not too proud to say. All I know is I’m lost without you, I’m not gonna’ lie. How am I gonna’ be strong without you? I need you by my side. If we ever say we’ll never be together and we ended with “Goodbye”, don’t know what I’d do… I’m lost without you, I keep trying to find my way, but all I know is… I’m lost without you. I keep trying to face the day, I’m lost without you. If I could only hold you now, and make the pain just go away, can’t stop the tears from running down my face. All I know is I’m lost without you, I’m not gonna’ lie. How am I gonna’ be strong without you? I need you by my side. If we ever say we’ll never be together and we ended with “Goodbye”, don’t know what I’d do… I’m lost without you, I keep trying to find my way, but all I know is… I’m lost without you. I keep trying to face the day, and all I find is, I’m lost without your love. I keep trying to find my way, but all I know is, I’m lost without you… I’m lost without you.

[Via http://charlesryderblog.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment