Tuesday, December 29, 2009

April 2009 Posture Video: Powerful Pose

April’s posture of the month is Powerful Pose, also known as Utkatasana or Chair Pose

(OOT-kah-TAHS-anna)

*Benefits of this posture include:

  • Strengthens the ankles, thighs, calves, and spine
  • Stretches shoulders and chest
  • Stimulates the abdominal organs, diaphragm, and heart
  • Reduces flat feet

*Benefits courtesy of Chair Pose on Yoga Journal

I think I still have yet to discover the benefits of powerful pose. I’m quite wobbly when I try to go up on my toes, and only recently have managed to actually bend my knees when in this pose.

I have to remind myself though that you have to learn to walk before you can run, and Powerful Pose is one of those poses for me that helps me remember that. I can’t always rush things (especially not my body when it’s not ready to go there!) and it’s often valuable to take your time and build a foundation for future success (in life and on the mat).

Taking things slowly, building foundations for the future and letting your body be where it’s at are some of the most important lessons I have gained from yoga.

What is the most valuable lesson you have learned from yoga? What poses do you take slowly?

Video courtesy of Moksha Yoga

[Via http://theyogagirl.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment