Tuesday, February 9, 2010

You Don't Tell the Atlantic Ocean to Behave

A Ted.com talk from Eve Ensler .  This is the most important thing you’ll understand – almost ever.  Just slistenq.   Ensler releases her book, “I Am an Emotional Creature:  The Secret Life of Girls Around the World” tomorrow.

“I love being a girl.  I can feel what you’re feeling as your feeling inside the feeling before.  I am an emotional creature.  Things do not come to me as intellectual theories or hard-pressed ideas.  They pulse through my organs and legs and burn up my ears.  Oh, I know when your girlfriend is really pissed off, even though she appears to give you what you want.  I know when a storm is coming.  I can feel the invisible stirrings in the air… it’s a vibe I share.

I am an emotional creature.  I love that I do not take things lightly.  Everything is intense to me.  The way I walk in the street. The way my momma wakes me up.  The way it’s unbearable when I lose.  The way I hear bad news.

I am an emotional creature.  I am connected to everything and every one.  I was born like that.  Don’t you say all negative that it’s only a teenage thing, or it’s only because I’m a girl.  These feelings make me better.  They make me present.  They make me ready.  They make me strong.

I am an emotional creature. There is a particular way of knowing.  It is like the older women somehow forgot.  I rejoice that it’s still in my body.  Oh. I know when the coconut is about to fall. I know when we have pushed the Earth too far.  I know my father isn’t coming back and that no one is prepared for the fire.  I know that lipstick means more than show, and boys are super insecure and so-called terrorists are made, not born.  I know that one kiss could take away all my decision making ability.  And you know what?  Sometimes it should.  This is not extreme.  It’s a girl thing. What we would all be if the big door inside us flew open.

Don’t tell me not to cry, to calm it down, not to be so extreme, to be reasonable.  I am an emotional creature. It’s how the earth got made, how the wind continues to pollinate.   You don’t tell the Atlantic Ocean to behave.  I am an emotional creature.  Why would you want to shut me down or turn me off?   I am your remaining memory.  I can take you back.  Nothing has been diluted.  Nothing’s leaked out.  I love, hear me, I love that I can feel the feelings inside you, even if they stop my life, even if they break my heart, even if they take me off track.  They make me responsible.

I am an emotional.  I am an emotonalincondotional, devotional creature.  And I love, hear me, I love love love being a girl.  Can you say it with me?  I love, I love, love, love being a girl. ”  -Eve Ensler

[Via http://storydoula.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment